First opening its doors in 1846, the Windmill pub has long been a focal point for village residents and visitors alike.
The first known tenants to use the pub or “ale house” as it was then known, came from Finsbury Park and sold corn and coal during the day and ale at night from a covered wagon.
The Windmill has had 18 official landlords since it first opened in 1846, and until its acquisition by a developer in 2015, been a popular stopping point for local residents,walkers, cyclists and twitchers alike.
The windmill was originally a single cottage which functioned as a beer house serving ale to agricultural workers in the early 19th century.
From 1878 to 1910 George Morgan was the landlord, with his 32 year stint with his name over the door beating the 29 years Harry Rayner served between 1934 to 1963.
William Tobias Taylor ran the pub between 1914 and 1933. During that time Luton brewers JW Green Ltd added the pub to their estate, and in time Greens were taken over by Flowers, who were in turn taken over by Whitbread.
The pub was then taken over in 1960 by Bedford-based Charles Wells, who continued to operate the pub until controversially selling it in 2015.
The new owner wants to convert the building and car park opposite into private homes, but pub fans say the site could should be offered for sale as a community pub in much the same way as The Red Lion in nearby Preston.